Maya Angelou, honored poet and essayist (April 4, 1928 - May 28, 2014)
- "Nothing can dim the light which shines from within."
- "I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
- "You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."
- "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."
- "My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return."
- "Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud."
- "You are the sum total of everything you’ve ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot - it’s all there. Everything influences each of us, and because of that I try to make sure that my experiences are positive."
- "Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope."
Maya Angelou photographed by Taylor Jewell for Cole Haan Fall 2013